Thursday, April 11, 2013

Winglets #2

Tonight I finished cleaning up the winglet ribs except that 6 of them need a 15 degree angle cut into the back edge where they will mate to the winglet spar.  When that was done, I cut all of the 8mm X 20mm pieces for the winglet spars and then glued the hinge reinforcements to one side of each of the winglet spar verticals.  I figured that I would try to build both spars at once.

It may seem like I am jumping around a bit, but there is method to my madness.  I was working on the canard until I realized that I had not ordered the spar caps for it.  Then I moved on to the main wing spar cap strips but I can't finish the main wing spars until I move out to the garage this summer because I don't have enough room to build them properly in the basement.  This led me to the winglets, which incidentally, I can't assemble until the holes are drilled in the winglet spars and rudder spars for the hinge nut plates and the aluminum tubes need to be mounted in the winglet spars for the winglet mounting screws.  I have the hinges but no nut plates.  I received news today that my nut plates and spar cap strips shipped from AS&S today.  Hopefully I will be able to complete the fabrication of the 2 winglet spars and the 2 rudder spars by the time that shipment arrives.  Of course, then the dilemma will he what to work on next!  I will probably try to finish up the winglets because I cannot sheet the canard leading edge until I bolt the main pivot fittings in place, but maybe I will just add a couple of access holes to the plywood in those areas and call it good?

On an unrelated note, can you believe that it is April 11th and we got a half a foot of snow today?  Unbelievable!

Number of hours:  1.2
Total hours:  191.3

No comments:

Post a Comment