Monday, December 10, 2012

Left Cockpit Longeron

I finally understand why a lot of homebuilt aircraft projects are never completed, life gets in the way!  I fully expected that deer hunting would interfere with my build but what a couple of weeks!  The night before we were supposed to leave for hunting last week my father-in-law slipped on some ice, breaking his leg is 3 places which required reconstructive surgery and a 4 day stay in the hospital meaning that I have been hunting solo and taking care of chores up North for the past two weekends.  I ended up coming home on Saturday night both weekends due to severe weather advisories on the following Sunday.   I figured that I would be able to get some build time in this Sunday but instead I spent the largess of my day arranging for a new motor to be installed in my truck because it spun a connecting rod bearing on the trip home from the cabin.  This is not a wonderful thing to happen, especially around Christmastime when things get a little tight for us financially.   The remainder of my Sunday was spent clearing the 2 feet of snow out of the driveway.  I hope that nobody sees this as complaining or a bunch of excuses.  I love winter and snow, it is a chance for us to justify our 4 wheel drive vehicles, use the hot tub, snowmobile, hunt, and it's just plain beautiful.   Life is an adventure, anyone who knows my background would agree that I have had my share of challenges and obstacles but I always try to keep a positive attitude and, most importantly,  F.R.O.G.

Back to the topic of this blog!  With baited breath I pulled the clamps off of the right side cockpit longeron and...nothing broke loose; and there was much rejoicing.  Tonight I cut the braces for the left side cockpit longeron and glued it all in place.

I was contacted by a fellow Onyx builder stateside recently.  In my contacts with various builders, researchers, and fans I keep adding to my cache of Onyx information.  He sent me the picture below of a wood Onyx with strut braced wings.  I don't know if this is the original wingspan or the longer wingspan version like my project.  The other thing that sticks in my mind? is that the fiberglass version of the Onyx has the fuel tank under the seat.  I am intrigued by the possibilities that this tank location could afford so stay tuned for another possible addition to the modifications page.

Number of hours:  0.7
Total hours:  131.9

No comments:

Post a Comment