Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Rudder Pedals Part 4

I trust that everyone had a good Christmas.  It is a great time to gather with family and reflect on how we are all truely blessed.  It is not, however, a good time for progress on an airplane build even with the extra time off work.  One highlight of my holiday was that my 91 year old grandmother came to visit and I got to show her my project.  Now I know most grandmothers wouldn't have much interest in such a thing but mine listened intently as I gave a rough overview and then she asked a whole bunch of questions and made some observations showing that she doesn't miss a thing.  Her mind is as sharp as a tack even though her hearing isn't.  After dinner, I heard her talking with my wife's grandmother and she asked her "Have you seen the airplane that Justin is building?  It really is quite the thing."  Ok, so I'm bragging a little bit, I know.  It feels good that after all these years I can do something that makes my grandma proud.

Saturday night I laid out the holes for the rudder cable mounts and the lightening holes on the side of the rudder pedals.  Tonight I changed my mind and cut big slots instead of the series of holes.  It was probably a dumb decision this late in the game as they didn't machine out as nicely as if I had done them earlier in the process.

I am thinking about mounting the fuel tank at the top of the fuselage just ahead of the pilot.  I would love to hear anyone's opinions on this or suggestions on how to accomplish the support structure.

Number of hours:  3.3
Total hours:  140.3

No comments:

Post a Comment