Thursday, March 21, 2013

Back Again

Well, I didn't get to go on that cross country.  The weather was freezing rain and I had a 102* fever that weekend.   I am slowly getting back to full health.   It seems as if the kids are trying to kill me this year with all of the crud that they have brought home from school.

I broke down and purchased a benchtop bandsaw yesterday that I found on Craigslist.   Tonight I put it to work cutting 70' of 1/2" square stock into trailing edge.  Now I know you purists out there will complain that I didn't use 10mm stock for this job to which I say, give me a break.  It sucks bad enough cutting this stuff from 1/2".  I am not going through the hassle of planing it then cutting it.  The weight penalty is negligible.   I might hate cutting trailing edge as much as building spars.  Oh well, enough complaining.  I decided to order the correct length of spar caps for the canard, so hopefully I will see them in two weeks or so.  The spring steel for the front fork will be done at the blacksmith sometime next week from the sounds of things.  My friends at the laser shop haven't snuck me into their schedule yet.  I hope that they can get me the parts before the next EAA meeting as I would like to bring the parts and beg for someone with 4130 welding experience to finish them for me.  The avionics are still in process at my brother-in-law's house.  I haven't been bothering him about it because I'm not in a hurry for them yet.  I hope that this is a satisfactory update, weather and health have really sapped all of my ambition over the past few weeks.  I will try to plane down the rest of my material this weekend and I would like to start building the canard and main wing spars but I don't want to push it.

Number of hours:  0.7
Total hours:  176.5

No comments:

Post a Comment