Saturday, March 23, 2013

Main Spar #1

I finally planed the wood from my most recent Aircraft Spruce order this afternoon.  My kids enjoyed playing outside in the snow while I did my job.  After I finished planing the wood I brought it all back down to the workshop.  The next thing I decided to do was to cut down all of the spar cap strips for both of the main wings.  I had to do some math to figure out the length of the bottom cap strip as it is not on the drawing.  It ends up being 1.16mm longer than the top cap strip.  I ended my day by gluing 2 of the 4 laminate layers together for one of the lower cap strips.  I was hoping to do 3 of the 4 but I didn't mix enough epoxy.  This ended up being a blessing in disguise because I probably wouldn't have been able to keep the 3 pieces together and flat while the epoxy cured.  I figure that this means it will take me 2 more sessions to finish up this cap strip.  This works out to be 14 total sessions to make the 4 cap strips.  That means I will be working on these things for a while unless I can figure out a way to work on more than one cap strip at a time; my small workshop is the limiting factor in this situation.

Number of hours:  1.5
Total hours:  178.0

No comments:

Post a Comment