Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Tab Facing Spar #5

I put the second and third coats of varnish on the tab facing spar tonight then I glued the anti-tab trailing edge to the lower surface plywood.  I put some more thought and research into the structural fittings for the plane.  They are specified as 6061-T6 on the plans but 2024-T3 is the equivalent to the material on the original design.  I will be remaking all of these parts now.  I would have done this the first time if I had known that the extrusions were available.

Number of hours: 1.5
Total hours: 248.2

2 comments:

  1. They say by the time you are done you usually will have built it twice. I am working on the third iteration of my Jodel engine mount, mostly because there is no specific design for mounting a Mazda rotary on a Jodel and I am making it up a I go along. Do be careful with substitutions and adding ghost weight, especially if you need to stay in part 103/UL regs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that the truth, I may end up building the two spars again as I noticed a slight warp. I am going to attempt to repair the existing ones first. As far as additional weight; there might be 3 pounds of fittings, at the most, and the density difference between the two alloys would only add up to 1 oz.

    I may register it as EAB just so I can have access to more airports but that is still a long ways off in the future.

    ReplyDelete