Thursday, July 26, 2012

Canard Control Fittings and Main Wing Aft Spar Fittings

I ended up drilling a hole wrong on one of the canard control fittings (forward wing control angles) so I machined another one, that makes six now in total.  Then I set up my new rotary table and put the radius on the corner of each control fitting.  The four forward wing hinges needed a radius on one of the corners too so I set up and machined those.
I rough cut the 4 main wing main spar attachment to F2 fittings and then rough cut the 4 main wing spar fittings.  I started studying the plans after I surfaced 4 faces of the main wing spar fittings to better understand their use and orientation after installation.   This brought a problem to my attention,  the plans don't say how many main wing spar fittings are required.   Each main wing spar has a top fitting and a bottom fitting on the front and back.  If you're keeping track in your head that means I need 8 fittings; not 4 and it means that I'm 3 feet short on my 1/4" X 1-1/4" bar stock.  I don't know what I will do as far as ordering more.
I spent Tuesday at Airventure and it was overwhelming, but I did get my epoxy, alodine, and plywood.  Hopefully my spruce will show up next week and I can pick it up at my flying lesson.
The bearings for my pullies and canard hinges showed up this past week.  I intend to start machining those this weekend.  Next week my project is getting my office cleaned up and finish the mud, tape, paint, and trim on the walls.  Then I can build my workbench and start the fuselage!   Maybe it will finally start to look like an airplane?
I believe that I have settled on an acceptable power plant for this project, the Yamaha KT100.  It is light weight and can easily develop 15-18 HP.  It will need a redrive, starter, and alternator but that is way way way down the line.




Number of hours: 1.9
Total hours: 18.4

No comments:

Post a Comment