Saturday, June 22, 2013

Canard Spar #16


I finally got back into the air today.  I flew for 2.4 hours.  We practiced 1 hour under the hood during which my instructor showed me how to track a VOR, we practiced slow flight and power off stalls in simulated IMC, he had me fly with my eyes closed for about 5 minutes where we started by trying to maintain straight and level flight and then he asked me to make 30 degree turns to new headings, he took the controls and had me close my eyes and then he disoriented me with many maneuvers in different directions and attitudes and then he told me to open my eyes and recover the aircraft using instruments only (we did this 4 times), finally he tested my VOR tracking skills (to and from) and gave me headings and altitudes to fly.  The last couple minutes of hood time had me descending through various altitudes and at 1100' MSL (100' AGL) my instructor told me to look up and land the plane.  We finished the time by practicing short field and soft field take offs and landings.  I learned today that cross winds have a much greater effect when you are slow and draggy; I am starting to figure out that I need to use more rudder correction for a cross wind landing.  I now have 32 hours total time so I am getting very close to my check ride!  (I apologize for the poor grammar in this paragraph)

I bought some paint brushes at The Home Depot yesterday and I put the first coat of varnish on my canard spar parts, rudder spars, and winglet spars.

Number of hours: 1.2
Total hours: 220.3


No comments:

Post a Comment