Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Canard Spar #18



Just to prove that black holes do belong on airplanes, I give you this picture today!  The spar needs to have holes to relieve pressure differentials in the various bays of the wing.  I used a drill in my previous adventures but it chewed up the plywood so I wanted to try using a soldering iron to make the holes.  It worked very well but I should have done it before varnishing the inside parts of the spar.

I brought the sheets of plywood for the leading edge of the spar to work today to get them cut to size.

Last night was our monthly EAA meeting and I got to say thank you to the gentleman who showed my friend and I his Kitfox in progress 20 years ago in his garage.  He didn't remember me but I told him that it made an impact on me for an adult to share his time with a couple of neighborhood punk kids.  He and his Kitfox are part of the inspiration for this project.  I also might have an opportunity to use a nice heated area for building my wings this winter.

I hope that I run into the gentleman who gave me my first ride in a GA aircraft so I can thank him too.  I believe that my mom has told his wife that I am flying now but I'm not sure if he knows.

I am planning to get some solo XC time on Thursday.  I need 2.6 solo hours, 1.4 of those need to be XC.  I scheduled my nighttime flight for Friday evening and I am pumped about that opportunity!  I need 3 take offs and landings at a towered airport and 3 hours of test prep then I SHOULD be ready for my checkride.  Lots of exciting stuff happening right now.

Number of hours: 1.3
Total hours: 224.6

No comments:

Post a Comment