Sunday, January 13, 2013

Fuselage Bottom Shaping

I started my day by pulling staples from the bottom of the fuselage.  After that wonderful task, I rough cut the bottom and then used a block plane and sandpaper to finish the contours.  The next thing I worked on was a way to mount the gas tank.  I tried many iterations without finding a solution that I liked and when I found a solution that I liked either the sump would interfere with the landing gear, the tank mounting tabs would interference with F2, or the seat belt would interfere with the mounting blocks.  I decided to mount the tank so it's top is level with the top of the rear upper longeron at F2 as I believe that this will be the best compromise with the geometry that is available.  After all this fiddling around, I glued a rail on each side above the main landing gear reinforcement.   I finished off my day by estimating the lines that I will be using for the canopy with some scrap wire that I had sitting around.  I hope that the wires show up well enough in the pictures.

I did have a discouraging epiphany today, I won't be able to glue the masts on while the plane is in the basement workshop.  This means that I will have to leave the sides off too until I can glue the masts in place in the garage.  Not the end of the world but it does put a slight kink in my plans.  I forgot to take a picture of my method for forming the fuselage floor, I will try to remember over the next few days.

Number of hours:  6.2
Total hours:  161.3

No comments:

Post a Comment