Thursday, January 3, 2013

Starting to Scarf

I have spent countless hours trying to decide on a method to cut the scarf joints that I liked and could be done at home.  I gave up on that plan today and decided to cut the scarfs on my 1.5mm thick plywood sheets for the top and bottom of the fuselage at work.  Now I know it can be done with less than $100 tools, but this was a very easy way to cut them.  I chucked up a 3/4" diameter ball end mill in one of our CNC routers and programmed a parallel finishing operation to cut the angle.  I was able to scarf one end of the sheet in about 5 minutes.  We have four Komo CNC routers at work.  I have included a picture of one of the routers cutting the plywood and a picture of one of our high production routers.  I glued up the first set of sheets when I got home tonight.  This project seems to require some interesting clamp set ups.

Number of hours:  1.3
Total hours:  143.4

No comments:

Post a Comment